Sunday, December 2, 2012

Inflammation

Earlier this year I was diagnosed with having Excessive Hidden Inflammation, or Chronic Inflammation as it is sometimes called. Shock? Not really. You see I've been having this reoccurring symptom called Iritis. Symptom because it is not an illness in itself. It is a reddening of the eye; sometimes somewhat painful and sensitive to light. I've had it treated several times over the years with the same diagnosis, "Iritis is a signal that there is inflammation in your body somewhere and it is showing up in your eyes." I'd get some prescription eye drops and be on my way.

Well, this year the story took a different turn. The condition was not treated as matter-of-factly as it had been in the past. For one, I had an extensive blood work for a CRP (C-Protien Reactive) Test. The test indicated that my hs-CRP level was extremely high at 56.4 mg/L, where the optimal range is 1.0 mg/L and high is somewhere around 3 mg/L.

So, what does this indicate? Recent studies show that excessively high levels of inflammation are the underlining cause of all the major diseases: heart attacks, diabeties, cancer. etc. For me personally, it is an indication that I am a high risk for a heart attack. Not what I wanted to hear.

I was then sent to a nutritionist, which actually further confounded the whole anomaly of my results. My diet is, and has been for many years, quite healthy. I eliminated red meats from the diet at least 30 years ago. I go on complete no meat binges from time to time, ranging from 3 months to a year. However, my regular diet consist of veggies, legumes, fruit, nuts, grains, poultry, and fish/seafood.  Even so, the nutritionist told me to eliminate or at least reduce the amount of grains in my diet. Rightfully so. As it turns out, food allergies can be a major cause of chronic inflammation. So, because I really do love rice, I reluctantly complied by reducing my grain intake.

Okay, so now I have this blog. I am not a doctor. I do not claim to possess the secrets that will cure illnesses and lead to better health. I do enjoy cooking and I do enjoy good food. Therefore, the sole purpose of this blog is to share some of the healthy meals I fix for my family and myself. I hope you will try them and find them both beneficial and delicious.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment