Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Smothered Chicken and Veggies

I try to stay away from fried foods as much as possible, though I do succumb from time to time. Not today. Here is my recipe for smothered chicken in au jus gravy, brown rice, green beans, and honey glazed carrots.

Smothered Chicken and Veggies

1 five pound bag of chicken wing parts
1 bell pepper
2 medium onions
1 cup of brown rice
4 cans of cut green beans
2 cans of sliced carrots
Extra virgin olive oil
Olive oil spray
Mrs. Dash Table Blend
Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb
Garlic Powder
Black Pepper

Green Beans
Today's veggies are green beans and carrots. I'm starting with my green beans so that they can take their time and cook. I usually start them off at a medium heat to get them boiling, then lower it in about half an hour and let them simmer until everything else is finished. But first, I put around a tablespoon of olive oil into my stockpot or enough to cover the bottom. Once it heats up I drop in my diced onion and saute them until they are clear. I immediately pour in the cans of green beans. I let them cook with the top off until I lower the heat; I then cover them, but not completely, leaving a small gap for some steam to escape in order to avoid boiling over. I season with Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb after about an hour into cooking.

I will normally use wings, wing parts, and/or drumsticks for smothering. I decided to use the wing parts for this meal since they were already in the freezer.

I turn my oven on to 350 degrees, wash my chicken, and then season them with Mrs. Dash Table Blend, black pepper, and garlic powder. I spray my 2 quart Corningware saucepan with olive oil and placed the chicken inside, then into the oven uncovered until it starts to brown. I flip them over and let the other side brown; both sides takes around 20 minutes. Once both sides have browned I remove the pan from the oven and add the sliced onion and bell pepper and a cup of water, then cover it and put it back in the oven. If the water gets too low before the chicken is ready to fall off the bone, add a little more as this is your au jus ("with its own juice"). The chicken should be ready in another 45 minutes.

While the chicken is cooking, I put on my brown rice so that it's ready around the same time.

I prefer using a bag of baby carrots for this, but I didn't have any; I did have a couple of cans of carrots though and they work well.

I pour the carrots, juice and all into my stainless steel skillet and bring it to a boil. The canned carrots cook much faster than the fresh ones, so you don't need to cook them long; 10 minutes is good. You then want to pour off the water and saute the carrots in about a teaspoon of olive oil for about a minute, then add in a tablespoon (more or less) of honey. After about another minute or two the honey will be absorbed and the carrots will begin to have a glazed look to them. Their done, and so is your meal!


No comments:

Post a Comment